In 2004 Osama bin Laden claimed responsibility for the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States which involved the hijacking of four aircraft the subsequent destruction of those planes and the World Trade Centre in New York, severe damage to The Pentagon in Virginia, and the deaths of 2,974 people and the 19 hijackers. Almost ten years after the attacks, on May 2 2011, bin Laden was shot and killed inside a secured private residential compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan, by U.S. Navy SEALs in a covert operation authorized and orchestrated by U.S. President Barack Obama.
SO WHY AREN’T I HAPPY?
1. Because a human life just ended. That may be justifiable if it prevents the deaths of further lives but is it reason to have a party? No.
2. Some people are having parties. The scenes of jubilation and chanting were more appropriate to how you might behave if your favourite football team just won. This whole thing, from the deaths of those people on September 11 2001 to the death of Osama bin Laden is no-one’s finest hour and nothing for any human being to be proud of.
3. The whole business in Abbottabad is being shrouded in mystery. Murder has been committed on our behalf and now the people authorising that murder are not permitting us to know the full details of what went on. Do they think we can’t handle the facts? Do they think emotions in parts of the world may become inflamed? If any of this is morally defensible then we should defend it, not glory in it and not hide the details. If that means some people’s emotions get inflamed, too bad.
4. I understand Osama bin Laden had not been in operational control of terrorist movements for some years so his death doesn’t make us any safer.
5. There were kids’ toys in that compound; I saw them in the background on that video taken at the scene. What nightmare have any children involved had to go through. It doesn’t bear thinking about.
6. The whole thing reminds me how mindless, fanatical, violent, pathetic, petty, irrational, barbaric and stupid human beings can be even today, even with all our advances and our achievements. We still kill each other because we have different opinions. Pathetic, shameful and sad.
I’m not in any mood for a party.
DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE? PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. I PROMISE I WON’T KILL YOU IF I DON’T AGREE WITH IT.